Simostronomy Podcast on 365 Days of Astronomy


Today's episode of 365 Days of Astronomy features a story from Simostronomy. It's all about a simpler time, and a couple kids dreaming of going to the Moon. The Summer We Flew To The Moon is a fun story about what happens when you don't plan for everything before blast-off.

I'd like to dedicate this one to my mom, since it is her birthday today and she was Mission Control for us and our spacecraft in this story. I always wanted to be an astronaut when I grew up. Thanks, Mom, for never insisting I actually grow up!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just listened to your podcast, it was great. Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous said...

Your episode of "365 Days of Astronomy" taught me nothing about astronomy. It said nothing about the technology used in space exploration. It had not a shred of scientific value. Of what value was it?

In reality, it had great value! Its value was in providing a look into the soul of children everywhere. Kids with dreams of great things. Kids aiming for the stars with only scrap wiring and an old car seat, but getting there anyway . Kids who plan and think of (almost!) EVERYTHING.

You made my commute on the bus memorable. People looked strangely at me as I laughed so hard there were tears streaming down my face. But I didn’t care. I was right there with you when that horrible “splat” happened. For a few minutes this morning, my inner child was flying to the moon. Thank you!

Unknown said...

Mike,

Just listened to your 'summer we went to the moon' podcast for 365 as I was walking to work, courtesy of the wonderful world of iPods. It was one of the most entertaining episodes of 365DoA I've heard - excellent work!

OG from Brains Matter

Big Mike said...

Thanks for the comments. I was glad to share that story with you all.

John Rummel said...

I've listened to all the episodes so far (I'm a typical science geek), but yours, by far, was the best. Maybe the best 10 minute podcast ever. I was that kid! Your story was warm, sincere, funny and typical. Thanks for sharing. Twas one of those nights when my wife kept asking me - headphones on - what are you laughing at?

-J